Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dry Farming

noun
a mode of farming, practiced in regions of slight or insufficient rainfall, that relies mainly on tillage methods rendering the soil more receptive of moisture and on the selection of suitable crops. dictionary.com
Basically, farming that uses strictly rain water.

About 2 months ago, I had a some extra radish seeds that I had nowhere to plant. So I took the seeds - Johnny Apple seed style - and tossed them into my community garden plot expecting nothing to happen. Well yesterday while I was 'weeding' I found these. My watering system is not on at the plot so these radishes grew strictly from rain water... In Arizona... I don't believe that this was some type of random miracle, over the last year I have seen that with a little of the right kind of effort, plants need very little water to grow.


Water Footprint of Food
-The number of gallons needed to grow a single pound of food.
Lettuce -- 15 gallons;
Tomatoes -- 22 gallons;
Cabbage -- 24 gallons;
Cucumber -- 28 gallons;
Potatoes -- 30 gallons;
Oranges -- 55 gallons;
Apples -- 83 gallons;
Bananas -- 102 gallons;
Corn -- 107 gallons;
Peaches or Nectarines -- 142 gallons;
Wheat Bread -- 154 gallons;
Mango -- 190 gallons;
Avocado -- 220 gallons;
Tofu -- 244 gallons;
Groundnuts -- 368 gallons;
Rice -- 403 gallons;
Olives -- 522 gallons;
Chocolate -- 2847 gallons;
Eggs -- 573 gallons;
Chicken -- 815 gallons;
Cheese -- 896 gallons;
Pork -- 1630 gallons;
Butter -- 2044 gallons;
Beef -- 2500-5000 gallons;!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment: